Friday, July 27, 2012

Is Google headed toward an Android Nexus PC?

In this edition of Ask Maggie, CNET's Marguerite Reardon discusses whether Google will use the Android mobile OS or browser-based Chrome OS to take on Apple and Microsoft in computing, and she explains why it's still important to check the coverage of your wireless provider before you sign up for a contract.



Google's Android operating system for mobile devices has gained significant traction in the market. Will Google follow this success up by pushing the OS into more sophisticated computing devices? Or will it use its browser based-OS Chrome to take on Apple and Microsoft in the PC software market?
These are the questions I tackle in this edition of Ask Maggie. I also offer some perspective on why it's still important to choose a wireless based on network performance and reliability.
Googles big strategic decision: Android or Chrome
Dear Maggie,
I was at Google I/O this year, and I saw a lot of developers using Macs. As a hardcore Google/Android fan, this bothered me. I was wondering if you think Google is going to move into the PC operating system market with its own suave version of Android OS and take on Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS that way? If an Android PC comes out, I'll be the first to buy it. So is there any chance of a Nexus PC coming in the near future? Please tell me there is!
Yours truly,
G-man
Dear G-man,
This is a great question. The short answer is that I wouldn't hold my breath for a Nexus PC.
To dig deeper into this topic, I went straight to the experts. I sent your question via e-mail to CNET's OS-guru Stephen Shankland. And I asked Seth Rosenblatt CNET Reviews' expert on all things software to help me answer your question.
Sundar Pichai, Google's senior vice president in charge of Chrome and Apps, speaking at Google I/O.
Sundar Pichai, Google's senior vice president in charge of Chrome and Apps, speaking at Google I/O.
(Credit: Stephen Shankland/CNET)
The three of us attended Google I/O this year as well. And we were having a conversation during I/O about this very issue. How long will Google continue to develop the Android mobile OS and the Chrome OS separately? Will the two ever collide? Will one software OS eventually fade away?
Here's what Stephen had to say: